[R] Troubles in plotting to a postscript file (not to png)

Paul Murrell paul at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 6 22:07:17 CET 2010

Hi

I think the problem is that the viewer you are using for the PS file
cannot find the ComputerModern fonts that are referenced in the PS file.
  If you use something like ghostscript to process the file you can see
this happening ...

[pmur002 at stat18 Temp]$ gs plot_example.ps
ESP Ghostscript 815.02 (2006-04-19)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Can't find (or can't open) font file
/usr/share/ghostscript/8.15/Resource/Font/CMR10.
Can't find (or can't open) font file CMR10.
Querying operating system for font files...
Didn't find this font on the system!
Substituting font Courier for CMR10.
<snip>

... and if your viewer is having this problem, it probably solves it in
the same way, by substituting a different font, which will result in
missing characters, wrong character widths, etc and produce the sort of
carnage that you are seeing.

The "ComputerModern" font family and the "TeXtext.enc" encoding are very
special cases set up for only the PostScript device and designed to be
used for including a figure in a LaTeX document (see the section on "TeX
fonts" in the help page ?postscript).  Your plot_example.ps file can be
used successfully in this way.  For example, if you create the following
simple latex doc ...

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}
   \includegraphics{plot_example}
\end{document}

... and process that with ...

latex test.tex

... and then process the resulting .dvi with ...

dvips -o test.ps -j0 test.dvi

... then the resulting postscript file, test.ps, has the fonts all
correctly embedded and there are no missing characters and no nasty
overlaps (I can send you the test.ps that I produced directly if you like).

So in summary, the plot_example.ps file is actually correct, for its
intended use.

It is worth pointing out that other solutions exist for this sort of
thing, including the cmsyase font (see
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/R/CM/CMR.html) and the 'tikzDevice'
package, so depending on what you are trying to do it might be worth
taking a look at those.

Hope that helps.

Paul

--