[R] How to formulate constraint like abs(x) = y in constrOptim (or other)

Benjamin B. benj.bad.ac at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 7 19:11:07 CET 2010

Thanks a lot for your responses.
Alabama and Rsolnp packages look promising.
My first tests worked well.

For others searching for alike problems I now use something like:

#equality constraint function
eqFkt<-function(x){
  #for sum(x)=sum_x
  sm<-sum(x)-sum_x
  return(c(sm))
}

ineqFkt<-function(x){
  #for -max_x < x < max_x
  ubound    <- -x+max_x
  lbound    <- x+max_x
  #for sum of all negative value to be > min_x_neg
  negbound  <- sum(x[x<0])-min_x_neg
  return(c(ubound, lbound, negbound))
}

#define start
start_weights<-seq(0, 0, length.out=len_data)
#where mini_func is the minimizing function
res <-auglag(start_weights, mini_func, heq=eqFkt, hin=ineqFkt)

Benjamin