[R] LaTeX, MiKTeX, LyX: A Guide for the Perplexed

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Wed Dec 8 04:25:23 CET 2010

For the GUI-addicted people (partly including me), I think LyX +
Sweave is an excellent choice. LyX is based on LaTeX; it can do almost
anything that LaTeX can do, and it takes care of a lot of details when
compiling a LaTeX document. The solution for embedding Sweave in LyX
has been there for a long time, and recently I tried to automate the
configuration so that beginners can hopefully get into this fantastic
world more quickly. See the video in this post:
http://yihui.name/en/2010/10/how-to-start-using-pgfsweave-in-lyx-in-one-minute/
(I recommend pgfSweave instead of Sweave, though.)

I did not answer your questions directly, but the video might give you
an idea how easy it looks (well, only "looks" easy -- learning Sweave
is unavoidable).

Regards,
Yihui
--