[R] Error in vector("integer", length) : vector size cannot be NA

mathijsdevaan mathijsdevaan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 05:12:34 CET 2010

Hello,

I have uploaded a csv file that looks like this:

> gc
         alpha_id     beta_id
1       142053       1
2         9454       1
3       295618       2
4        42691       2
5       389224       3
6         9455       3

The alpha_id contains 310660 unique values and the beta_id contains 17431
unique values. The number of rows adds up to more than 1.3 million. Now I
want to convert this list of observations into a matrix with alpha_id in the
first row and beta_id in the first column (or vice versa) and a count in the
cells. So this would be an option M = as.matrix( table(gc) ). However, I
keep getting this error message:

Error in vector("integer", length) : vector size cannot be NA
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In pd * (as.integer(cat) - 1L) : NAs produced by integer overflow
2: In pd * nl : NAs produced by integer overflow

There is no missing data in my file, so I don't know what's wrong. Can you
please help me? Thanks!

Mathijs