[R] Number of dimension in Multidimensional Scaling

Petar Milin pmilin at ff.uns.ac.rs
Thu Dec 9 13:26:50 CET 2010

Hello!
Very often one can hear that MDS usually ends with two-dimensional
solution. Of course, there are methods, like Scree-test (proposed by
Kruskal and Wish, 1981), to determine optimal number of dimensions.
However, I am trying to find references to this two-dimensional
gold-standard. Can anyone point me to authors which explicitly states
that two-dimensions are typical and easiest to represent graphically? In
Baayen's book (2008) one can find this statement. Are there more?

Thanks,
PM