[R] Number of dimension in Multidimensional Scaling

Michael Bedward michael.bedward at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 01:04:08 CET 2010

Just to add to Michael F's comments: I've looked for that elbow many a
time but never found it :)  Admittedly, I typically deal with fairly
noisy, ecological data, but I think it's a mistake to try to identify
the "optimal" number of dimensions. Better instead to concentrate on a
"useful" number, ie. usefully descriptive; able to be related to other
variables etc.

Just my 2c

Michael