[R] Could concurrent R sessions mix up variables?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 19:50:45 CET 2010

On 10/12/2010 1:13 PM, Anthony Damico wrote:
> Hi, I'm working in R 2.11.1 x64 on Windows x86_64-pc-mingw32.
>
> I'm experiencing a strange problem in R that I'm not even sure how to
> begin to fix.
>
> I've got a huge (forty-pages printed) simulation written in R that I'd
> like to run multiple times.  When I open up R and run it on its own,
> it works fine.  At the beginning of the program, there's a variable X
> that I set to 1, 5, 10, 20, depending on how sensitive I want the
> simulation to be to a certain parameter.  When I just run one instance
> of R, the X variable stays the same throughout the program.
>
> I have a quad-core machine, so I'd like to take advantage of all four
> processors.
>
> If I open up four sessions and set X to 1, 5, 10, and 20 in those
> different sessions, then run all four simulations all the way through
> (about eighteen hours of processing time) at the same time, the
> variable X ends up being 20 at the end of all four sessions.  It's as
> if R mixed up the variable setting between the four concurrent
> sessions.  I can't figure out why else my variable X would ever get
> changed to 20 in the three simulations that I set it to 1, 5, and 10,
> respeectively (it doesn't get updated anywhere during the simulation).
>
> When I have all four of these simulations running concurrently, I am
> absolutely maxing out my computer.  All four processors are at 100%,
> and my Windows Task Manager says I'm using almost 100% of my 16 GB of
> RAM.  Is it possible that intense resource use would cause a variable
> conflict like this?  I have no idea where to start troubleshooting
> this error, so any advice would be appreciated.

If you are running something that takes 18 hours to complete, a common
practice is to save intermediate results to disk occasionally.  Have you
(or whoever wrote the simulation) done this and forgotten about it?  If
all 4 processes are saving to the same place, then reading results back,
you'd see something like you describe.

If all calculations are held in memory, you shouldn't.

A simple approach that might debug this is to create a new variables
initX, set equal to X.  Then sprinkle statements

stopifnot(X == initX)

through your simulation code.  That should quit when the change happens,
and you can try to figure out why it happened.

Duncan Murdoch