[R] ggplot2 errorbarh

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 02:12:03 CET 2010

Brian Tsai <btsai00 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems using the 'width' aesthetic attribute for the
> geom_errorbarh.   This is the same problem reported earlier here, but I'll
> try to write the problem more clearly:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help <at> r-project.org/msg62371.html
>
> The problem I'm having is that, the 'width' attribute is supposed to set the
> height of the endpoints of the whiskers, and respectively, the width of the
> endpoints of the whiskers in geom_errorbar.
>
> The width attribute works fine in geom_errorbar (sets width of whiskers
> fine), but it has no effect in geom_errorbarh (height of whiskers is the
> same no matter what value).  Does anyone else still have this problem?

  Looking at the answers in the previous thread, I think the commenters
are trying to answer your question but be missing the point.

  I assume you have horizontal errorbars that look like this

  |------*-------|

and you want them to look like this:

In this case, it would be the "height" aesthetic rather than the
"width" aesthetic that you would want to modify the length of the
end-caps on the bar.

  If this is *not* what you want, it would help if you could somehow
draw a picture of your desired graph (e.g. manipulate the graph you
have in an image editor, or use ASCII art as above) ...