[R] Saving iterative components

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de
Tue Dec 14 12:00:17 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to understand when and how to use do.call().
In this case, would it work with do.call() instead of lapply(), like this?
vars <- list(names(Tmese[, -(1:2)]))
res <- do.call(idw.cv, vars)

Thanks,
Ivan

Le 12/14/2010 11:48, Liviu Andronic a écrit :
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Annalaura<annalaura.russo at imaa.cnr.it>  wrote:
>> Thanks a lot Uwe Ligges, I've abandoned R for a few time but now I'm working
>> with it, so I've a question about the last problem that you solved: instead
>> to write
>> cv_1994<- idw.cv("X01_1994")
>> cv_1995<- idw.cv("X01_1995")
>> cv_1996<- idw.cv("X01_1996")
>> cv_1997<- idw.cv("X01_1997")
>> cv_2006<- idw.cv("X01_2006")
>> cv_2007<- idw.cv("X01_2007")
>> cv_2008<- idw.cv("X01_2008")
>> can I use a more compact expression????
>>
> Yes. There are nicer ways to formulate the problem (and the solution),
> but without access to the object all I can is a shot in the dark.
> ##obtain a vector of variable names
> vars<- names(Tmese[, -(1:2)])
> ##apply the function 'idw.cv' iteratively, each time
> ##using a 'vars' element as the functions first argument;
> ##store the results in a list
> res<- lapply(vars, idw.cv)
> res
>
> Regards
> Liviu
>
> PS For more on loops and the apply family check [1].
> [1] http://promberger.info/files/rnews-vectorvsloops2008.pdf
>

>> Thanks
>>

>> --

Ivan CALANDRA
PhD Student
University of Hamburg
Biozentrum Grindel und Zoologisches Museum
Abt. Säugetiere
Martin-Luther-King-Platz 3
D-20146 Hamburg, GERMANY
+49(0)40 42838 6231