[R] Multivariate binary response analysis

Emmanuel Charpentier emm.charpentier at free.fr
Tue Dec 14 22:27:07 CET 2010

Dear Derek, dear list,

A couple suggestions (and more) :

0) check that your problem can't be expressed in terms of what glmer()
(lme4(a|b)? package(s)) can solve. I use this often, and am quite
impressed with its abilities.

1) Why not modeling that directly in BUGS ? That might not be easy, will
almost certainly not be fast to converge and will require lots of post-
convergence analysis but offers a direct solution.

Current BUGS implementations (OpenBUGS 3.1.x, JAGS 2.x) are well-
interfaced to R. My current favorite is JAGS + rjags, but this preference
might come from years of frustration about (Win|Open)BUG on Wine on
Linux, and the current offering of OpenBUGS + BRugs, currently in beta on
the "Community" page of the OpenBUGS website, seems quite decent. Memory
use might have been a  problem in the "(not so) good old days", but in a
era of multigigabyte netbooks, I doubt this is still relevant.
Computation time is more of a concern : although Lunn & al. (2009)(1)
allude to a parallelized version of WinBUGS(2), I am not aware of any
publicly-accessible parallelized BUGS interpreter, which is a shame in
times where even said netbooks get multicore CPUs ...).

2) The nice MCMCglmm package is able to run a large subclass of DAG
Bayesian models expressible as generalizations of (possibly
multidependent) multivaried mixed-model GLMs, *way* faster than current
BUGS implementations (the author claims an acceleration factor of about
30 on his test problem, and my (limited) experience does not disprove
him).

It seems (to me) that your problem *might* be expressible in terms
palatable to MCMCglm(). Be aware, however, that using this package will
*require* some serious understanding of the author's notation used in his
(excellent) documentation. Furthermore, if you're interested in the
"random" effects values, you're SOL : I have not (yet) been able to
retrieve traces of their distributions in the resultant object. But
again, my understanding of this package is limited.

My personal bias goes to BUGS, as you might have guessed, but the "public
health warning" that the Spiegelhalter gang put in front of the WinBUGS
manual still apply : "MCMC sampling can be dangerous". To which I add
"model checking, convergence assessment and validation might eat more
time than modeling itself".

HTH,

					Emmanuel Charpentier

--

1. David Lunn et al., “Rejoinder to commentaries on ‘The BUGS project:
Evolution, critique and future directions’,” Statistics in Medicine 28,