[R] Solution to differential equation

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Wed Dec 15 23:08:10 CET 2010

This integral is NOT easy.  Your solution is wrong.  You cannot integrate
term-by-term when the polynomial is in the *denominator* as it is here.

I am not sure if there is a closed-form solution to this.  I remember you
had posed a problem before that is only slightly different from this.

Previous formulation:

dR/dt = k1*R*(1-(R/Rmax)^k2); R(0) = Ro

Current formulation:

dR/dt = k1*(R^k2)*(1-(R/Rmax)); R(0) = Ro

Note that the difference is that the exponent `k2' is in different places.
Initially I thought that this should not make much difference.  But
appearances of similarity can be quite deceiving.  Your previous formulation
admitted a closed-form solution, which I had shown you before.  But this
current formulation does not have a closed-form solution, at least not to my
abilities.

For the current formulation, you have u^k2 * (1-u) in the denominator of the
integrand. This cannot be simplified in terms of partial fractions.  In the
case of previous formulation, the denominator was u * (1 - u^k2), which
could be simplified as (1/u) + u^(k2-1)/(1-u^k2).  So, we are stuck, it
seems.

We can expand 1/(1 - u) in a power-series expansion, provided |x| < 1, and
then integrate each term of the expansion. However, this is not very helpful
as I don't know what this series converges to.

May be I am missing something simple here?  Any ideas?

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology School of Medicine Johns
Hopkins University

Ph. (410) 502-2619
email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu