[R] editor for MacOS

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Dec 16 17:42:53 CET 2010

On Dec 16, 2010, at 10:26 AM, peter dalgaard wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2010, at 16:54 , Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
>> On Dec 16, 2010, at 9:41 AM, Troels Ring wrote:
>>
>>> Dear friends - I'm using Tinn-R in Windows and find it OK. My son is running MacOS and is just starting using R and I know nothing about MacOS and R but we seem to have difficulties in finding something similar to Tinn for MaC. What are your suggestions?
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>> Troels Ring, MD
>>> Aalborg, Denmark
>>

>> I have not used Tinn-R, so can't speak for specific functions. That being said, Emacs/ESS is perhaps the most conceptually similar environment. It is also portable across Windows, OSX and Linux, which can provide consistency advantages if supporting multiple platforms.
>>

> Also, Aquamacs comes with ESS built-in. Just open a .R file, click the R icon and you're going. Aquamacs works pretty nicely for other purposes too (TeX, notably). Only annoyance compared to Linux is that the meta key can't be put in the same place or anywhere near it (on a Danish keyboard), but that's more a Mac issue than an Emacs one.

I had tried Aquamacs (and Carbon Emacs) when I first moved to OSX early last year. After having used vanilla Emacs on Linux for years, it was problematic to get used to the OSX specific operational idiosyncrasies. If one is moving across OS platforms, it would seem to also potentially complicate things.

I build regular Emacs 23 from source, which is pretty easy to do and there is Cocoa support in the main source tree.