[R] Arguments in functions

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 16 21:50:33 CET 2010

Paul -
    Please take a look at the help file for boot, i.e. type

?boot

    at the R prompt.  There you will see, along with other
information:

statistic:  A function which when applied to data returns a vector
           containing the statistic(s) of interest.  When
           ‘sim="parametric"’, the first argument to ‘statistic’ must be
           the data.  For each replicate a simulated dataset returned by
           ‘ran.gen’ will be passed.  In all other cases ‘statistic’
           must take at least two arguments.  The first argument passed
           will always be the original data. The second will be a vector
           of indices, frequencies or weights which define the bootstrap
           sample.

Since the default for sim is "ordinary", the boot function will automatically
pass the entire data set as the first argument, and the indices of the bootstrap
sample as the second argument.

Hope this helps.
 					- Phil Spector
 					 Statistical Computing Facility