[R] installing package from source with Linux

Jannis bt_jannis at yahoo.de
Fri Dec 17 19:33:14 CET 2010

Dear list,

this may not be related to R but rather to my OS, but I do not
understand the issue of compiling R packages deeply enough to figure out
the exact cause of the problem.

I am trying to install a R package from source as it is not yet
available under Cran (Rssa, downloaded here: https://github.com/asl/rssa).

Running

sudo R CMD INSTALL asl-rssa-6f458e4.tar.gz

from the console however gives me these error messages:

Warnung in untar2(tarfile, files, list, exdir) :
   checksum error for entry 'pax_global_header'
Fehler in untar2(tarfile, files, list, exdir) : unsupported entry type ‘g’

Does anybody have any hints on how to solve this? Do I have the wrong
packing program installed?

I am trying this with Ubuntu 9.10 and the following R system:

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Platform: i486-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)

locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
  [3] LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=de_DE.UTF-8
  [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.UTF-8
  [7] LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

[1] tools_2.12.0

Thanks for any hints! Trying the same with another package downloaded
from Cran worked.

Jannis