[R] dotchart for matrix data

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Dec 18 21:32:18 CET 2010

On Dec 18, 2010, at 1:27 PM, e-letter wrote:

>> [... snip ...]
>>
>>> I am trying to create a chart like this
>>> (http://www.b-eye-network.com/images/content/Fig4_3.jpg); so this is
>>> not possible using R?
>>
>> That looks an awful lot like what lattice's dotplot would
>> produce. So: have you tried dotplot() as Ben has suggested?
>>

> For the benefit of other novices, this is what I did (gnu/linux):
>
> sign-in to a command terminal as root
> start R
> install.packages("reshape2")
>
> In another terminal as normal user
>
> require(reshape2)
> mdot<-melt(testdot)
> dotplot(value~category,groups=variable,data=mdot)
>
> The resultant graph shows the categories on the abscissa and there
> does not seem to be a way of selecting two columns from the original
> matrix. It is not like the graph cited in the hyperlink quoted above,
> but at least I have successfully followed instructions!

If you want to see a worked example of a dotplot that has two separate
data series on the same set of lines then look at Fig 10.18 in
Sarkar's "Lattice". The illustration and code are all at the book's
website. I don't think you did a very good job of explaining in text
what you expected to see (at least on my reading of it more than once)
but this may do what you hoped:

dotplot(as.character(mdot$category) ~ mdot$value, labels=mdot$variable)