[R] labels and barchart

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Tue Dec 21 12:40:15 CET 2010

Robert Ruser wrote:

> x <- seq(20, 100, by=15)
> ety <- rep( "Effect on treatment group", times=length(x))
> barplot(x, names.arg=ety, las=1, horiz=TRUE)
>
> Labels are not visible. But trial and error method with the second mar
> argument I get what I want.

Standard graphics has fallen a bit out of favor because of these quirks. Try
lattice:

library(lattice)
x <- seq(20, 100, by=15)
ety <- paste("Effect on treatment group",1:length(x))
barchart(ety~x)

Note that the ety labels must be different to make this work. With your
original data, you only get one bar (and I needed some time to find out what
was wrong).

Dieter