[R] Fitting a Triangular Distribution to Bivariate Data

Jonathan P Daily jdaily at usgs.gov
Thu Dec 23 14:22:31 CET 2010

I don't know if any specific package has a triangular distribution, but I
know you can fit a model using first degree b-splines with a single knot.

library(splines)
?bs
x <- 1:100
y <- rnorm(100, ifelse(x <50, x, 100-x), 15)
fit <- lm(y ~ bs(x, knots = 50, degree = 1))

Jonathan P. Daily
Technician - USGS Leetown Science Center
11649 Leetown Road
Kearneysville WV, 25430
(304) 724-4480
"Is the room still a room when its empty? Does the room,
 the thing itself have purpose? Or do we, what's the word... imbue it."
     - Jubal Early, Firefly