[R] package update

eric ericstrom at aol.com
Mon Dec 27 05:45:31 CET 2010

I'm running Linux Ubuntu and tried to update my packages using the
update.package() command. It appeared to download the updates ok but I got
the following message:

The downloaded packages are in ‘/tmp/RtmpFM82Ry/downloaded_packages’
Warning in install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l, contriburl =
contriburl,  :
  'lib = "/usr/lib/R/site-library"' is not writable
Error in install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l, contriburl =
contriburl,  :
  unable to install packages
Calls: update.packages -> install.packages

What does this mean ? And more importantly, how do I address it ?