[R] filling up holes

analyst41 at hotmail.com analyst41 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 02:04:57 CET 2010

On Dec 28, 10:27 pm, <Bill.Venab... at csiro.au> wrote:
> Dear 'analyst41' (it would be a courtesy to know who you are)
>
> Here is a low-level way to do it.
>
> First create some dummy data
>
> > allDates <- seq(as.Date("2010-01-01"), by = 1, length.out = 50)
> > client_ID <- sample(LETTERS[1:5], 50, rep = TRUE)
> > value <- 1:50
> > date <- sample(allDates)
> > clientData <- data.frame(client_ID, date, value)
>
> At this point clientData has 50 rows, with 5 clients, each with a sample of datas.  Everything is in random order execept "value".
>
> Now write a little function to fill out a subset of the data consisting of one client's data only:
>
> > fixClient <- function(cData) {
>
> +   dateRange <- range(cData$date)
> +   dates <- seq(dateRange[1], dateRange[2], by = 1)
> +   fullSet <- data.frame(client_ID = as.character(cData$client_ID[1]),
> +                         date = dates, value = NA)
> +
> +   fullSet$value[match(cData$date, dates)] <- cData$value
> +   fullSet
> + }
>
> Now split up the data, apply the fixClient function to each section and re-combine them again:
>
> > allData <- do.call(rbind,
>
> +                    lapply(split(clientData, clientData$client_ID), fixClient))
>
> Check:
>
> > head(allData)
>
>     client_ID       date value
> A.1         A 2010-01-04    36
> A.2         A 2010-01-05    18
> A.3         A 2010-01-06    NA
> A.4         A 2010-01-07    NA
> A.5         A 2010-01-08    NA
> A.6         A 2010-01-09    49
>

> Seems OK.  At this point the data are in sorted order by client and date, but that should not matter.
>
> Bill Venables.

It is of course a great honor to receive a reply from you (but please
allow me to continue to be an anonymous source of bits and bytes over
the net).

This is a neat solution, but please watch this space to see my dumber
version (the code might need to be changed to a procedural languaage
eventually).

Thank you.