[R] Analysing Character Strings for subsequent frequency analysis

bob stoner bob.stoner at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 30 19:03:33 CET 2010

Hi
I'm trying to get to grips with R and establish R as a teaching medium
in my secondary school. I would like to use R to analyse text so I can
produce frequency analysis of the text for subsequent examination of
ciphers. I can produce code in VBA but I am struggling when writing in R
to examine each character. There must be a clear method using the
vectorised format of R. Furthermore, how do you substr a text string and
reference each letter? I can use nchar to see how many letters per
string but not to select each letter. I would prefer to remain in R and
not deviate to Python etc as getting R onto the school mainframe has
been a long journey...
Many thanks

Bob Stoner
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK