[R] Different results in glm() probit model using vector vs. two-column matrix response

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 23:03:14 CET 2010

On Dec 30, 2010, at 22:01 , Lensing, Shelly Y wrote:

(Once will do...)

> Hi - I am fitting a probit model using glm(), and the deviance and residual degrees of freedom are different depending on whether I use a binary response vector of length 80 or a two-column matrix response (10 rows) with the number of success and failures in each column. I would think that these would be just two different ways of specifying the same model, but this does not appear to be the case.
>
> Binary response vector gives:
> Residual deviance:  43.209  on 77  degrees of freedom
>
> Two-column matrix response gives:
> Residual deviance:  4.9204  on 7  degrees of freedom
>
> I'd like to understand why the two-column response format gives a residual degrees of freedom of 7, and why the weights for one is nearly, but not exactly, a multiple of the other. I need the deviance, df, and weights for another formula, which is why I'm focused on these. My code is below. Thank you in advance for any assistance! Shelly

Easy: When given in the binary form, glm() has no way to know that your data comes from 10 homogenous groups (consider extending the model with a covariate like z <- runif(80) ). So the "saturated model" is simply bigger. To  recover the 7 DF deviance, interject a model that represents the the 10 groups (i.e., unit <- gl(10,8); fu <- glm(y~unit,.....); anova(fu, f180),  provided that I follow your code correctly).