[R] Pipe /shell - R does not wait

robbert blonk robbert.blonk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 12:27:59 CET 2010

Dear All,

Within a large script, I try to invoke a second program (called e.g. XXX)
from R using "shell" or "pipe".

e.g.:
> readLines(pipe("XXX"))
or:
> shell("XXX",intern=TRUE, wait = TRUE)

After running the program, the script reads a file with solutions produced
by the second program ("XXX.001").

> readLines("XXX.001")

This works fine, when the second program finishes quickly. However, when it
takes some more time (like 2 minutes) R does not wait and starts looking for
XXX.001 which is not there (yet). Consequently,my beautiful script
crashes.....

Is there a way to let R wait until the second program really finishes?? the
argument "wait = TRUE" obviously doesn't work...

thanks uin advance,

Robbert