[R] merging data frames gives all NAs

Erik Iverson eriki at ccbr.umn.edu
Tue Feb 2 20:00:31 CET 2010

James Rome wrote:
> On 2/1/2010 5:51 PM, David Winsemius wrote:
> I figured this out finally. I really believe that the R help write-ups
> are sorely lacking.

The help docs are probably not the best way to learn R, but they are
great for users of the functions.  I have found that after going through
an introduction book on R or online tutorial (plus experience), that the
help system in R is really, really good at *documenting the behavior of
the functions*, which is the point of them.

As another general hint from someone who has learned R slowly over time,
when something happens that you don't understand on "real" data,
construct a minimal example data.frame and try out your code on that.
Also, learning how to use browser() or the debug package has been very
useful.