[R] color blending and transparency

baptiste auguie baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 3 14:32:41 CET 2010

Hi,

Adding two semi-transparent colours results in non-intuitive colour
mixing (a mystery for me anyway). Is it additive (light), substractive
(paint), or something else? Consider the following example, depending
on the order of the two "layers" the overlap region is either purple
or dark red. I have no idea why.

png("testingOrder.png")
plot.new()

# Red below
rect(0.3, 0.5, 1, 1, col=rgb(1, 0, 0, alpha=0.5))
rect(0, 0.5, 0.7, 1, col=rgb(0, 0, 1, alpha=0.5))

# Blue below
rect(0, 0, 0.7, 0.5, col=rgb(0, 0, 1, alpha=0.5))
rect(0.3, 0, 1, 0.5, col=rgb(1, 0, 0, alpha=0.5))

dev.off()

Best,

baptiste