[R] typo in contrast package's vignettes

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Feb 3 17:21:05 CET 2010

Peng Yu wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:41 AM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
>> On Feb 3, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Peng Yu wrote:

>>> I'm not clear how my original post violate the posting guide
>>> http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html. Would you please be
>>> specific which item I violated?
>> Your use of "violated", not mine.
>>
>> "For questions about functions in standard packages distributed with R (see
>> the FAQ Add-on packages in R), ask questions on R-help.
>
> I asked the questions because I'm not sure if I am a hundred percent
> correct. If I am wrong, then it is not a problem with the package.
> Therefore, it is perfectly OK to ask the question on r-help.

Really? Where exactly is the loophole in 'If the question relates to a
contributed package ... try contacting the package maintainer first.'?

I don't see an addendum that states 'But if you are not 100% sure that
you are correct about your question then you should ask on R-help first,
because of course those people know WAY more about the package and its
contents than the maintainer, who is really just tangentially involved
with the package and probably couldn't clear up any misunderstandings
you may have.'

But I could be mistaken. I am not good at reading between the lines...

>> If the question relates to a contributed package , e.g., one downloaded from
>> CRAN, try contacting the package maintainer first.  "
>>
>> Have you tried contacting the contrast package maintainer?
>>
>> --
>> David Winsemius, MD
>> Heritage Laboratories
>> West Hartford, CT