[R] Problem accessing help files

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Feb 4 01:45:21 CET 2010

On 03/02/2010 7:17 PM, Jonathan wrote:
> Duncan:
>    I suspect that you're right about the file association having been the
> issue.  .html files were not associated with either browser.  However, I
> fixed that by associating .html files with Firefox, but R still gave me the
> same error!  If that was the problem, R didn't realize the association had
> been changed.
>
> I tried uninstalling R and reinstalling R, thinking maybe it takes a
> snapshot of associations once (at install), and keeps its own internal table
> (even though that didn't sound all that intuitive).  No luck; R still
> persisted in being unable to open help files.

R knows nothing about the associations.  They are handled by the Windows
shell functions.

And it's not .html files; Windows recognizes that the URL is a URL, and
sends it to whichever browser has registered itself to handle them.

So you might fix things by deleting and re-installing Firefox, telling
it to install itself as the default browser.  (Or tell IE to reinstall
itself as the default, if you really want to do that.)

You can also set up a shortcut to a URL ("New shortcut" from the context
menu on the desktop) and give it the URL that R tried.  This isn't a
solution at all, since the URL only works for the current R session
unless you set it to a fixed one with options(help.ports=12345), but it
might give some more insight into what's wrong.

Duncan Murdoch