[R] coefs from summary.lm of an aov object

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Feb 4 19:36:30 CET 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Martin Ivanov wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> This is probably a very stupid question, nevertheless I obviously am
> not qualified enough
> to cope with it. I do not understand what the coefficients are that
> are output by running
> summary.lm on an aov object. I thought they should be the
> differential effects for the levels of the factor and the overall
> mean, but they are obviously not, as illustrated by the following
> simple example:
>
> x <- c(1:15); y <- factor(c(rep("a", 5), rep("b", 10)))
>> tapply(X=x, INDEX=y, FUN=mean)
>   a    b
> 3.0 10.5
>
>> mean(x)
> [1] 8
>
>> a <- aov(x ~ y)
>> summary.lm(a)$coef
>            Estimate Std. Error  t value     Pr(>|t|)
> (Intercept)      3.0   1.192928 2.514821 0.0258555905
> yb               7.5   1.461032 5.133357 0.0001921826
>

>> model.tables(a)
> Tables of effects

>     a    b
>    -5  2.5
> rep  5 10.0
>
> Besides, I fit a factor with two levels, "a" and "b", but there is
> only the "yb" coefficient for the "b" level, no "ya" coefficient for
> the "a" factor level.

R reports treatment contrasts (at least by default) so the base level,
"a" in your case, is reported as the "Intercept". The "yb effect" is
the difference between the mean yb estimate and the baseline. So your
estimated mean for a subject with yb="b" would be "Intercept" +
beta(yb) = 10.5

So all is right in stats-land.

--
David.