[R] population variance and sample variance

Kingsford Jones kingsfordjones at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 05:21:27 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm so surprised that even this basic definition does not have unique
> name in the nomenclature, which might cause confusion in certain
> context. Just some of my thought---if both definitions are OK, then
> the wiki page might be revised
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance#Population_variance_and_sample_variance.
> After all, many none pure statisticians relies on wiki for easy access
> of some simple terms.

I believe the nomenclature in your link is pretty well accepted.  The
point made earlier is that when sampling one uses (n-1) to get an
unbiased estimate of the *population* value, so one needs to be
careful w/ semantics and it's really better to be mathematically
explicit.  Also when we discuss the variance of a random variable we
are referring to its 2nd central moment (Var X = E(X - E X)^2), so
again the definition is context dependent.

Kingsford