[R] lmer Error message

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 6 15:54:53 CET 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Martin Bulla <bulla at centrum.cz> wrote:
> Does anybody knows what this error message means: Error in object$terms : $
> operator not defined for this S4 class

The error message means what it says and it doesn't come from lmer, it
comes from the drop1 function being applied to a model fit by lmer.
You are assuming that you can apply drop1 to an lmer model and you
can't.  You need to do the modifications of the model formula by hand
because an lmer formula contains terms that would not be meaningful
for drop1.