[R] Reading large files

Vadlamani, Satish {FLNA} SATISH.VADLAMANI at fritolay.com
Sat Feb 6 23:18:51 CET 2010

Gabor:
Here is the update. As you can see, I got the same error as below in 1.

1. Error
 test_df <- read.csv.sql(file="out_small.txt", sql = "select * from file", header = TRUE, sep = ",", filter="perl parse_3wkout.pl", eol="\n")
Error in readRegistry(key, maxdepth = 3) :
  Registry key 'SOFTWARE\R-core' not found

2. But the loading of the bigger file was successful as you can see below. 857 MB, 333,250 rows, 227 columns. This is good.

I will have to just do an inline edit in Perl and change the file to csv from within R and then call the read.csv.sql.

If you have any suggestions to fix 1, I would like to try them.

 system.time(test_df <- read.csv.sql(file="out.txt"))
   user  system elapsed
 192.53   15.50  213.68
Warning message:
closing unused connection 3 (out.txt)