[R] The KJV

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Feb 7 14:47:12 CET 2010

On 07-Feb-10 12:49:23, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Ted Harding
> <Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Delightful! And fascinating in the detail too.
>>
>> _length(tt)
>> _# [1] 5078
>>
>> with slight changes like:
>>
>> _barplot(rev(tt[1:50]),horiz=TRUE,las=1,cex.names=0.6,log="x")
>> _# ...
>> _barplot(rev(tt[101:150]),horiz=TRUE,las=1,cex.names=0.6,log="x")
>> _# ...
>>
>> and see the likes of
>>
>> _tt["lord"]
>> _# lord
>> _# 1939
>>
>> _tt["god"]
>> _# god
>> _# 822
>>
>> _tt["men"]
>> _# men
>> _# 204
>>
>> _tt["women"]
>> _# women
>> _# _ _26
>>
>> I'm now wondering how it matches up with Zipf's Law (or perhaps
>> Fisher's logarithmic ... )
>>
>> Thanks, Ben!
>
>  I'm wondering if someone is now going to write an R package to look
> for 'bible codes':
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_code
>
>  it's all in there:
>
> http://www.biblecodewisdom.com/code/model-goodness-fit-test
>
> Barry

Barry, these things can become distracting! Like the "Weighing
Pennies Problem" (given N pennies, one of which has a different
weight from all the others, and a two-pan balance, what is the
minimum nmber of weighings required to determine which is the
one with the different weight?). With reference to the work of
British Defence scientists during World War II:

"It was said that the 'weighing-pennies' problem wasted 10,000
scientist-hours of war-work, and that there was a proposal to
drop it over Germany." [page 155 of the Bollobás edition of
Littlewood's "A Mathematician's Miscellany"].

And now, Baz, you come up with Bible Codes ...

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 07-Feb-10                                       Time: 13:47:09