[R] Posting an 'S4-creating Package Problem'...

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sun Feb 7 15:14:55 CET 2010

On 02/06/2010 03:39 PM, Daniel Kosztyla wrote:
> Hello R-Team,
>
> May you help me to post a 'S4-creating Package Problem'?
> Thanks already now for supporting.
> The problem sounds like:
>
> Hello R forum,
>
> while compiling my R-package these 'Warnings' occur:

> Warnung in matchSignature(signature, fdef, where) :
>   in the method signature for function "plot" no definition for class:
> "prediction"
> Warnung in matchSignature(signature, fdef, where) :
>   in the method signature for function "plot" no definition for class:
> "validation"
> ** help
> *** installing help indices
>
> Maybe my NAMESPACE file looks wrong. Has anybody an idea how it has to
> look like to solve
> this problem? ( I use exportClasses(...), exportMethods(...). )
>
> I have 3 classes: 'prediction', 'validation', 'nvalidation' which have a
> plot function.
> There's no warning for class 'nvalidation' but for the other two.
> Any suggestions?

Hi Dan

Files in a package are collated and then sourced. If your 'prediction'
class is in prediction.R, and your plot method is in plot.R, then the
files will be collated plot.R, prediction.R, and the class definition
for prediction will be unknown when the plot method is defined. Use
Collate: in the DESCRIPTION file, or put class (and generic) definitions
in files that collate early, e.g., AllClasses.R, AllGenerics.R.

Hope that helps,

Martin