[R] convert R plots into annotated web-graphics

Rainer Tischler rainer_t62 at yahoo.de
Sun Feb 7 15:35:06 CET 2010

Dear all,

I would like to make a large scatter plot created with R available as an interactive web graphic, in combination with additional text-annotations for each data point in the plot. The idea is to present the text-annotations in an HTML-table and inter-link the data points in the plot with their corresponding entries in the table, i.e. when clicking on a data point in the plot, the corresponding entry in the table should be highlighted or centered and vice-versa, when clicking on a table-entry, the corresponding point in the plot should be highlighted.

I have seen that CRAN contains various R-packages for SVG-based output of interactive graphics (with hyperlinks and tool-tip annotations for each data point); however, SVG is not supported by all browsers. Is anybody aware of another solution for this problem (maybe based on image-maps and javascript)?
If you have alternative ideas for interlinking tabular annotations with plotted data points, I would appreciate any recommendation/suggestion.
(I work with R 2.8.1 on different 32-bit PCs with both Linux and Windows operating systems).

Many thanks,
Rainer