[R] Package plm & heterogenous slopes

Otto Kässi otto.kassi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 09:31:52 CET 2010

Giovanni,

Thank you for your reply. pvcm is indeed what I was looking for.

I have a follow-up questio: plm documentation says that pvcm with
method 'within' is equivalent of estimating a separate model for each
individual. Let's assume that I would like to estimate a panel data
model with an individual-specific intercept, individual-specific slope
and a regressor that has a common coefficient for all individuals.
I.e. a model of the form:  y_it = a_i + b_i*t + c*x_it + e_it. Is this
doable in plm?

I came up with two non-plm solutions to my problem. One possible
approach would be to estimate a model y ~ id + id*t + c with ols, but
this doesn't seem feasible with a dataset of several hundreds of
individuals. Another approach would be to apply Frisch-Waugh-Lovell
theorem and estimate the regression coefficients in multiple steps.
Using plm, if possible, would feel more straightforward though.

Regards,
Otto