[R] Memory Problem

S Ellison S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk
Mon Feb 8 17:35:33 CET 2010

>>> jim holtman <jholtman at gmail.com> 08/02/2010 14:09:52 >>>
>Typically R does not have macros;

I know exactly why Jim Holtman said that; R doesn't have a separate
'macro' construct with separate 'macro variables'.

But it is perhaps a bit misleading to say that R doesn't have macros
without saying a bit more about what it _does_ have. Most of R _is_ a
collection of R 'macros' and writing R functions or text files full of R
commands - for batch or interactive use - is a common part of day-to-day
R use; so much so, perhaps, that noone would bother giving R programs
and functions a separate label like 'macro'.

So while you won't have an excel or SAS 'macro' you most certainly _do_
have at least equivalent capabilities.

Steve Ellison

>>> jim holtman <jholtman at gmail.com> 08/02/2010 14:09:52 >>>
What exactly is your definition of "macro"?  What to you want to do?
What is the problem that you are trying to solve?  Why to you think
macros will help?  Typically R does not have macros; I assume that
idea is a holdover from SAS.

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Meenakshi
<meenakshichidambaram at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can I use macro variables in R. If we can use macro variables in R,
> where i can get that programs or macro in R books.
>
> --

Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH
+1 513 646 9390