[R] subset in a matrix

DonDiego jorge.nieves at moorecap.com
Tue Feb 9 21:12:14 CET 2010

Hi,

I have a matrix of data values like the example bellow. I would like to
extract a subset of the matrix for the values where the first column is
negative.  I am using the subset function. However, I am getting an error
message that the conditional variable doe snot exist.  For some reason, the
subset operation only works if I transform the matrix to a data set using
as.data.set(). The help indicates that the subset function can be applied to
matrixes and data sets. I am wondering if anyone has seen a similar problem
before. am I using the correct syntax?

n = 15
m = 5

cnames = paste("x",1:m,sep="")
rnames = 1:n

z = matrix(rnorm(n*m),n,m,dimnames =list(rnames,cnames))

Thanks,

Jorge

test = subset(z,x1 < 0, select = c(cnames))