[R] heplot3d / rgl : example causes R GUI to crash

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Feb 10 17:25:49 CET 2010

On 10/02/2010 11:07 AM, Michael Friendly wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> > On 10/02/2010 9:33 AM, Michael Friendly wrote:
> >> [Env: Tested under Win Xp, R 2.9.2 and R 2.10.1; sessionInfo() at end]
> >>

> > This is probably a bug in rgl, and I can reproduce it.  Bugs in
> > contributed packages are best sent to the maintainer of the package,
> > because otherwise they might be lost.  In this case I did see it, so
> > no need for you to do anything more.
> >
> > Duncan Murdoch
> Thanks, Duncan
> FMI, if you (or anyone) has pointers on how to debug such things, I'd
> like to learn.

It's not easy, but the general idea is to do it in gdb, possibly with a
nicer front end (I use Insight).  I wrote up instructions on doing this
in Windows a few years ago.  I think they still work; if you try this
and notice anything in my instructions that is out of date, please let
me know.

The instructions are on
http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/debuggingR/, in the
page "Using gdb to debug C or Fortran code
<http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/debuggingR/gdb.shtml>".

Duncan Murdoch