[R] What is the difference between typeof and storage.mode?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Feb 11 01:54:54 CET 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 7:47 PM, bluesky315 at gmail.com wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:40 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net
> > wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 10, 2010, at 6:34 PM, bluesky315 at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> S Programming by Venables and Ripley (2000) says on page 8, "R
>>> objects
>>> have another way to give information using the function
>>> \tttext{typeof}, which often gives the same information as
>>> \tttext{storage.mode}." It implies that there are some differences
>>> between typeof and storage.mode.
>>>
>>> However, according to ?typeof and ?storage.mode, it doesn't seem
>>> to be
>>> so. Could somebody let me know if there is any difference? If there
>>> is, what the difference is?
>>
>> Dear Peng Yu;
>>
>>  There is a difference.
>
> Would you please give me an example when they will be different?

It took me about 20 seconds to find an example where they were
different using typical objects in my workspace.  You have been at
this for about a year now. I think you are taking the easy route out,
rather than working some of these answers out by yourself.

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT