[R] Find each time a value changes

Tim Clark mudiver1200 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 19:52:39 CET 2010

It was brought to my attention that the rle() answer to this question was not posted.  The following gives the correct answer once the last value is deleted.

x<-seq(1:100)
y1<-rep(1,10)
y2<-rep(2,10)
y<-c(y1,y2,y1,y1,y1,y2,y1,y2,y1,y2)
xy<-cbind(x,y)

print(xy)
print(str(xy))

# SEE WHAT RLE GIVES
test <- rle(xy[,2])
print(str(test)

# USE JIM"S TRICK OF CUMULATIVE SUMMING
# TO GET THE LOCATIONS
result <- cumsum(c(1,rle(xy[,2])$lengths))

Tim Clark
Department of Zoology
University of Hawaii