[R] Problems with savePlot() and postscript under Snow Leopard

Hannes Nietnagel h.nietnagel at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 13 00:36:35 CET 2010

Dear all,

I tried:
> iris
> species.n <- as.numeric(Species)
> plot(iris, col = species.n)
> savePlot(filename="IrisTestPlot", type="png")

and got the error message:
Fehler in savePlot(filename = "IrisTestPlot", type = "png") :
  kann nur aus 'X11(type="*cairo")' Devices kopieren

(sorry, I have a german version of R).

I tried:
> postscript("IrisTestPlot.eps", paper="special",height=6,width=6,onefile=FALSE,horizontal=FALSE)

 and

> postscript(file="IrisTestPlot2.pdf", onefile = FALSE, horizontal = FALSE, paper = "special", width = 8, height = 8)

in both cases there are files produced that cannot be opened. Error
message: the bounding box is missing.

I use 64 bit R under Snow Leopard.

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] de_DE.UTF-8/de_DE.UTF-8/C/C/de_DE.UTF-8/de_DE.UTF-8

attached base packages:

[1] tools_2.10.1

Are there any configurations I missed to make?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Sincerely,
Hannes