[R] How to source files from a search path?

blue sky bluesky315 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 06:41:14 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Don MacQueen <macq at llnl.gov> wrote:
> Well, you still will need Sys.getenv() to get the value of the environment
> variable into R.
>
> Are you familiar with the function named list.files() ?
>
> This may do the job:
>
>   source( list.files( Sys.getenv('SOMEENVVAR'), pattern='myfilename') )
>
> But I haven't tested it.

This doesn't do what I want. Anyway, I made my own program. Let me
know if a function that does the same thing is available in some other
packages.

smart.source=function(partial_path) {
  source(full.path(partial_path))
}
full.path=function(partial_path) {
  found_rpath=base:::Find(
    function(p) {
      full_path=base:::file.path(p, partial_path)
      base:::file.exists(full_path)
    }
    , base:::unlist(base:::strsplit(base:::Sys.getenv('RPATH'), ':'))
    )

  if(is.null(found_rpath)) {
    stop(paste(partial_path, ' is not found in $RPATH', sep=''))
  } else {
    base:::file.path(found_rpath, partial_path)
  }
}

#shell environment variable
RPATH=/dir1:/dir2

I have the following R file, which is in /dir2.

$ cat main_test.R
f=function() {
  print('in f')
}

Then I can source the above file like the following.

> smart.source('smart.source/main_test.R')
> f()
[1] "in f"