[R] executable R script under xp (to avoid migration toward Matlab or C++)

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Feb 15 12:15:12 CET 2010

PtitBleu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I discovered R two years ago and thanks to the R-community I managed to
> write some scripts to analyze my data stored in mysql databases.
> The only problem is that I am the only one using R in the lab. Colleagues
> mainly use Matlab (but not with mysql, only with text files) but regularly
> come to me to get data treated with R-scripts !!!.
>
> To allow the use of my scripts by other people, my boss asked me to make
> executables (.exe) with my scripts or to pay someone (I'm only end-user
> and not a computer scientist) to translate them into matlab langage (and
> then into .exe) or into C++ meaning abandoning R. And I don't want to.
>
> So is it possible to make executables from R scripts ? It seems it is not
> the case but I hope I missed a way to do it.
>
> Thanks in advance for your answers,
> Have a nice day,
> Ptit Bleu.

Unfortunately there is no "compiler" that can turn a set of R scripts into
an executable such as mcc does for MATLAB.  My suggestion would be to turn
pack your scripts up into a R package that could be easily installed on
other computers that are running R.  You might be able to convince your boss
that this approach would be quicker and cheaper than paying for the work to
be translated into another programming language.

Good luck!

-Charlie