[R] Non-metric multi-dimensional scaling with "NA"s / "0"s

kellys17 seankelly999 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 15 22:38:36 CET 2010

Hi,

     I am tryng to use Non-metric multi-dimensional (MDS) to illustrate the
difference in mixed-species flock composition between two species of birds.
It is part of a thesis I am currently working on.

 My data consists of 18 columns and 62 rows, with numbers ranging from 0 to
7. I have carried out MDS of the data various ways but when "0" is kept in
the data set uses "0" as a measure when I want it to be ignored. I have
tried to counter this by replacing all "0"s with "NA" but to no avail. I am
struggling to find a function which will allow me to carry out MDS without
taking into account "NA"s or "0"s, essentially carry out MDS with "missing
values".

  If anyone could advise me on my problem it would be much appreciated.

  Thank you,

 Seán Kelly.