[R] RODBC - Any faster driver?

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Tue Feb 16 14:38:06 CET 2010

Yoni Schamroth-3 wrote:

> We are currently using the odbcConnect  and odbcDriverConnect functions of
> RODBC package to connect to a DB built on SQL Server 2005.
> Are there any other packages / drivers/ methodology that may provide a
> faster connection?

Dates back to 1997: for SQL Server

Performance of ODBC as a Native API

One of the persistent rumors about ODBC is that it is inherently slower than
a native DBMS API. This reasoning is based on the assumption that ODBC
drivers must be implemented as an extra layer over a native DBMS API,
translating the ODBC statements coming from the application into the native
DBMS API functions and SQL syntax.
Microsoft's testing has shown that the performance of ODBC-based and
DB-Library–based SQL Server applications is roughly equal.

Dieter