[R] READ.TABLE for Mac

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Tue Feb 16 22:27:29 CET 2010

Mestat wrote:

> Hi listers,
> I just got a MAC, so I am trying to use the command READ.TABLE but I am
> getting a error that is probably caused by the wrong path that I am
> using...
> The command is the following...
>
> file<-read.table("/Users/Márcio/UdeM/Travail Dirigé/Data/MU284
> Population.txt",header=T,skip=24)
>
> And I am getting the following error...
>
> Erro em file(file, "rt") : não é possível abrir a conexão
> Além disso: Warning message:
> In file(file, "rt") :
>   cannot open file
> '/User/Márcio/UdeM/Travail_Dirigé/Data/MU284_Population.txt': No such file
> or directory
>
> I checked already the messages but I didn't find what could be my
> mistake... Any suggestions???
> Thanks in advance,
> Marcio

Well there are a couple inconsistencies between the example command you give
and the error message you are reporting:

  1. The root path '/Users'  is '/User' in the error message.

  2. The file name 'MU284 Population.txt'  is 'MU284_Population.txt' in the
error message.  The same thing has happened to the directory name "Travail
Dirigé"

I also use R on OS X and have never observed it alter or sanitize my file
names-- I suspect you may have mistyped the path.  If this is the case, use
the TAB key to help you autofill the path rather then trying to type it all
out correctly yourself.  Just type the first few letters of a folder or file
name and push TAB to have the rest autocompleted.

Good luck!

-Charlie