[R] Using text put into a dialog box

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Feb 17 06:20:12 CET 2010

This function will pop up the window, get the number, and return it:

tmpfun <- function() {
	tt <- tktoplevel()
	Name <- tclVar("")
	entry.Name <-tkentry(tt,width="20",textvariable=Name)
	tkgrid(tklabel(tt,text="Please enter site number."))
	tkgrid(entry.Name)
	OnOK <- function()

	{
		NameVal <- tclvalue(Name)
		use.this=NameVal
		tkdestroy(tt)
	}

	OK.but <-tkbutton(tt,text="   OK   ",command=OnOK)
	tkbind(entry.Name, "<Return>",OnOK)
	tkgrid(OK.but)

	tkwait.window(tt)

	return(as.numeric(tclvalue(Name)))
}

Run it like:

> tmp <- tmpfun()

And after clicking on OK tmp will have the number in it.

The database experts will need to tell you how to include that into your query (either using the above function, or putting the query in place of the return and returning the result).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center