[R] side-effects in functions that replace object values andattributes

Stephen Tucker brown_emu at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 16:20:17 CET 2010

Hi Bill, thanks for your response. There are many cases in which I find direct use of `names<-`, `mode<-`, `body<-`, `[<-`, `[[<-`, `$<-`, etc. to be helpful... so wrapping each function individually seems a bit verbose. Thanks for pointing out the compatibility with S-Plus - that was originally not a concern of mine but I suppose one should keep this in mind. So I propose two solutions, in addition to yours, and wonder if you or others have additional thoughts regarding this issue. Starting with the original problem:

> x <- 1:3
> `names<-`(x,letters[1:3])
a b c
1 2 3
a b c
1 2 3

(the modification of the original variable, x, is undesirable - how to prevent it?)

--- solution 1) force evaluation within the function environment using force(). (perhaps still not S-Plus friendly)

> x <- 1:3
> `names<-`(force(x),letters[1:3])
a b c
1 2 3
[1] 1 2 3

--- solution 2) wrap it in a general function, Funcall(), which will evaluate all arguments into a list before function application. (S-Plus friendly?)

> Funcall <- function(f,...)
+   do.call(f,list(...))
> x <- 1:3
> Funcall(`names<-`,x,letters[1:3])