[R] Use of R in clinical trials

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Feb 18 04:19:00 CET 2010

Erik Iverson wrote:
> Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
>> Cody,
>>
>> How amazing that SAS is still used to produce reports that reviewers
>> hate and that requires tedious low-level programming.  R + LaTeX has
>> it all over that approach IMHO.  We have used that combination very
>> successfully for several data and safety monitoring reporting tasks
>> for clinical trials for the pharmaceutical industry.
>>
>> Frank
>
> I used to work for a research group that also used R + LaTeX to produce
> DSMB reports for clinical trials.  If the DSMB members had only been
> exposed to SAS reports before, you could not get them to stop praising
> the quality of the R + LaTeX reports, even years into a trial.
>
> Erik

Thanks for your note Erik.  That's been my experience too.

For those that haven't seen it already, you may be interested in
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/Rreport and its "Statistical Tables and
Plots" link.

Frank

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine