[R] reading socket hangs

Conoscenza grassa rocciemanuele at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 13:53:02 CET 2010

HI All
I am newbie to using socket in R.
I wrote the function  below in R for Windows.
The strange behavior is that each time I call this function R seems to hang
for I don't know what reason.

If I give at prompt  line by line the commands below everything is fine:
connection happens immediately, and also reading data from the socket with
valid data.

If I pack these line into a function R starts freezing, connection doesn't
occurr immediately and so the following reading from the socket.

The very strange thing is that this weird behavior goes away once I remove
the read.socket calls. If there are not present; when I do this the
connection happens immediately, but with read.sockect everything hangs.

Can you help me?
Thanks

TestConnect<-function(){

	print ( "start" )

	aClient=make.socket( host="1.2.3.4", 11111, fail=TRUE, server=FALSE )

	on.exit(close.socket(aClient))
	print( "connected" )

	data = read.socket( aClient, loop=FALSE )
	print ( "read" )
	print( data )

}