[R] non-linear contrained optimization

Prof. John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Thu Feb 18 17:00:44 CET 2010

If the data is fairly small, send it and the objective function to me off-list and I'll
give it a quick try.

However, this looks very much like the kind of distance-constrained type of problem like
the "largest small polygon" i.e., what is the maximum area hexagon where no vertex is more
than 1 unit from another. (It is NOT a regular hexagon! More like a dented pentagon.)
Such problems are often better posed using polar coordinates, but the setup takes work.

If you are going to have to do a lot of these problems, it will be worthwhile looking into
ways to get very good starts, in which case a very crude method using penalty or barrier
functions could be effective.

John Nash